- Is about resolving issues to help bring respectful closure to the marriage or other legal family disputes in an amicable and cost effective manner.
- Is confidential and offers many benefits including a more private and comfortable office setting, separate rooms when necessary, and typically less formal evidence requirements.
- In general, will save time, money and help reduce the emotional cost to each party compared to traditional litigation.
- Is beneficial to help create co-parenting relationships.
- May be scheduled with or without attorneys present.
- Timing could be one or more sessions depending on how many issues need to be resolved.
- Sessions may be scheduled before the case is filed with the court or after it has been filed.
Mediators may assist with a variety of issues including child custody, parenting time, spousal support, child support, retirement plans, and property distribution. By working with a neutral mediator, ground rules are established to help remain focused on resolution.
Here is a comparison to demonstrate just how much more beneficial alternative methods may be in helping with your situation.
- $200 per hour for sessions (expense shared between parties)
- Business-like but informal
- Allows for healthy discussion of point-of-views and emotions
- More comfortable and cooperative
- Promotes improved communication
- Helps set stage for joint decision making
- Encourages personal responsibility
- Clients make their own decisions
- Discussions and financial information are confidential
- Shared resources to reduce costs
- Average rate for attorneys is $150 - $350 per hour for each side
- Formal and adversarial process
- Increases anxiety and stress
- Discourages communication because issues are resolved through attorneys or the Court
- Sets stage for future disagreements and more court appearances
- Third party decisions are made by the Court
- Hearings are open to the public
- Financial information is part of the public record
- Several court appearances
For More Information Contact:
2450 Old Novi Rd, Novi MI 48377